Some people dream of epic travels around the world with exciting and harrowing adventures along the way. Some people do it. Our guest Meagan Butler is one of those doer types.
Meagan called in from Australia to share with us her story of ambition, resilience, and human connection as well as the lessons she has learned while riding all over the world by bicycle. An average girl from a typical Australian family, Meagan has done what many deem insane or impossible… she has biked across the US, around third-world countries, and done it at times, completely alone.
A deeply passionate philanthropist, Meags has taken her biking experiences and environmental education and is now helping others discover the empowering effect of cycling.
You can contact Meagan at firstname.lastname@example.org
Has Meagan inspired you to tackle a bike tour of your own? Check out her list of recommendations below to make sure you have everything you need and nothing you don’t.
MUSIC FEATURED IN THIS WEEK'S PODCAST - HUMAN POWER(ED)
Scott Holmes - Breathe New Life
Missy Higgins - Going North
Kai Engel - Summer Days
Melanie - Brand New Keys
MEAGS' MUST-HAVES FOR KEEPING YOUR SANITY ON A BIKE TOUR
Device for music & podcasts – some extra motivation on those long boring stretches; an engaging lesson to share with friends once in camp, or just the ability to pump your favourite tune for the well earn ’t downhill. Also handy for internet and as camera!
Insulated, sealable Klean Canteen 16 OZ cup – Never missed my morning coffee even when I needed to roll out of camp before having time to finish it, I could come back to it road side!
Notebook and pen – ALWAYS handy! Taking notes, exchanging details, playing games, drawing…
A book/instrument/deck of cards – Something to share or just to take a timeout with.
Solar Panel (and rechargeable front, rear and head lights..) – No more battery waste!
MEAGS' ULTIMATE BIKE TOUR PACKING LIST
· 1 x Tent (rain fly & ground sheet)
· 1 x Sleeping bag and liner (light weight/small)
· 1 x Sleeping mat (Ex-ped – packs down super small & light, plus it pumps up to a super comfort level)
· 1 x Pocket Rocket stove (small and very simple – but I don’t like the amount of waste that goes along with the gas bottles – next time I’ll be taking my Whisper Lite stove)
· 1 x Cooking pot – I use a small one, which I can also use as a bowl if it’s just me, but a bigger pot if it’s a group.
· 1 x lightweight mess kit (w/spork and chopsticks)
· 1 x Insulated, sealable cup
· 1 x Switch blade knife
· 1 x Mini chopping board
· 1 x 6L water bladder – especially if riding in hot dry areas with big gaps between water
· 2 x underwear
· 2 x short socks
· 1 x long socks
· 1 x riding tank top
· 1 x casual tank top
· 1 x t-shirt
· 1 x long sleeve shirt
· 2 x thermal top – one a little thicker than the other
· 1 x thermal pants
· 1 x light down jacket
· 1 x light weight rain jacket
· 1 x padded riding shorts
· 1 x non padded riding shorts
· 1 x other shorts (riding/ casual)
· 1 x sandals/flip flops
· 1 x riding shoes
· 1 x bike gloves
· 1 x head scarf – very versatile!
· 1 x biking hat (under helmet)
· 1 x Rechargeable head torch (1 x set of spare batteries just incase)
· 1 x Solar Panel
· 1 x personal first aid kit
· 1 x iPhone & ear buds with volume control on the chord
· 1 x book (exchange or pass on once finished)
· 1 x Micro fibre towel
· 1 x micro fibre face washer
· 1 x Invisible Zinc sun protection
· 1 x Dr Broners biodegradable soap for EVERYTHING! (body, hair, clothes & dishes)
· 1 x hand sanitizer
· Personal toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste..)
· Water purification
· Small sewing kit
· 1 x touring bike
· 1 x front rack with two waterproof panniers
· 1 x rear rack with two waterproof panniers
· 1 x Handle bar bag
· 1 x 35L dry bag
· 1 x bike multi tool
· 1 x non bike specific multi tool
· 1 x reflective vest
· 1 x helmet
· 1x Electrical tape/ extra cable ties
· 1 x Front and rear lights (rechargeable)
· 1 x bell
· 2 x drink bottles and cages
· 1 x speedometer / GPS / Garmin watch
· 1 x clippless peddles (with platform option)
· 1 x pair keen sandals w/ bike cleats
· Tools and spares for all basic repairs and bike dismantling